The 5 Top-Rated Features of This Obesity Knee Brace
Open-Patella Support Design
This knee instability support was designed with openings around your patella (kneecap) and popliteal (back of the knee) for comfortable, extended use among overweight, obese, and morbidly obese men and women.
The open patella (kneecap) design eliminates pressure over your sore kneecap, increases mobility, and reduces sweat build-up, while still providing ultimate support around your kneecap. The cut out behind your knee (popliteal) is a subtle feature, which increases mobility, prevents bunching behind your knee, and reduces excessive rubbing as you move.
Comfortable and Lightweight Protection
This plus size knee sleeve is constructed out of a latex-free, neoprene alternative material. If you find solid neoprene knee supports or compression braces like tommie copper sweaty and uncomfortable, you’ll find this knee brace is a more breathable and comfortable alternative to wear.
Wrap-Around Design Allows for Easy Application
This support for weak knees features a simple wrap-around design, which makes it a breeze to put on and take off. Plus, the straps are durable and adjustable, so you can adjust your brace to a custom fit after you select the size that works best for you.
Heavy Duty Hinges
The heavy-duty side hinges provide medial and lateral stability to your knee and limit your range of motion in the side-to-side direction. Side-to-side movements can lead to LCL (lateral collateral ligament) or MCL (medial collateral ligament) tears, which are the ligaments that run up the sides of your knee joints.
What if I don’t need additional support on the medial and lateral sides of my knee?
This type of knee brace is fairly unique in that you can actually remove the metal hinges, which effectively turns it into a nice lightweight wrap that offers a little bit of support, but not as much as when the hinges are in.
Designed to Fit Large Legs
Having a hard time finding a knee support that comfortably fits your full-figured legs? If so, this brace is perfect for you! Specifically engineered to conform to bigger thighs and wide calves, fitting a range of bariatric adults. Our wrap support for plus-size men and women is offered in sizes M – 5XL.
How Does This Orthopedic Hinged Brace Help With Knee Arthritis?
Osteoarthritis is one of the most common forms of arthritis you may experience in the knee. It is a degenerative, wear-and-tear” type of arthritis that occurs most often in people 50 years of age and older, although it may occur in younger people, too. When osteoarthritis occurs, the cartilage in the knee joint gradually wears away, resulting in bone on bone contact. This is likely causing you pain during or after movement, stiffness, and tenderness within your knee. This plus-size, arthritic knee brace helps address this problem as it adds support and reduces stress on your knee.
This brace was designed to help manage pain from a number of additional knee pain conditions, including:
- Medial or lateral kneecap instability
- Muscle weakness or injury
- Ligament weakness or injury
- General knee pain
Why Do I Need This Plus Size Knee Support?
If standing or walking for long periods of time is causing pain to your knees, you are not alone. Suffering from knee pain is extremely common for those who are classified as obese. In fact, every pound of body weight adds about five pounds of force to your knee joint. So, it’s not surprising that being overweight increases your risk of experiencing knee-related injuries and can cause your knees to wear out faster than they might otherwise.
It is likely that if you are experiencing this common knee joint pain, you have been told that the simple fix is through exercising and losing that excess weight. However, we understand that this is much easier said than done when you are dealing with this obesity-related knee pain. This knee wrap for large legs was designed to allow you to stay active through long periods of standing, walking, or other exercises. This plus size wrap around brace will provide you the extra support you need to get back to life!
Frequently Asked Questions About This Bariatric Knee Wrap
- What conditions does this bariatric knee brace treat? This brace helps ease pain from degenerative joint disease (osteoarthritis), muscle and ligament weakness or injury, medial or lateral instability, meniscus tears, post-surgery recovery, and general obesity knee joint pain.
- Who can wear it? With sizes ranging from L – 6XL, this knee brace fits overweight to morbidly obese men and women.
- How do I put on this knee wrap? Position wrap with openings around your kneecap (patella) and at the back of your knee (popliteal) – (The BraceAbility brand logo should be on the front of your leg above your kneecap). Tighten and fasten strap around your calf first. Then, fasten the remaining strap around your thigh.
- How do I know what size to get? Using a fabric tape measure, measure the circumference of your leg 6 inches above the center of your kneecap and 6 inches below the center of your kneecap. To get the most accurate measurements, we recommend having a close family member or friend assist you. Refer to our sizing graphic in the pictures above to choose the right size.
- Can I wear this support over my pants? Yes, if necessary.
- When should I wear this knee brace? This knee brace can be comfortably worn all day while sitting, standing, and during mild physical activity. However, you should consult with your doctor before wearing any compression knee brace for extended periods of time, such as sleeping.
- What material is this knee stabilizer made of? Latex-free, inches thick, padded neoprene alternative material.
- How tall is this orthopedic knee brace? 13 inches tall.
- Washing instructions: Remove metal stays, close all strap closures and hand wash in warm water with mild soap. Air dry completely for about 24 hours.
- Other features:
- Removable medial and lateral hinges
- Wrap-around design
- Adjusts to your knee specifically
- Color: Black