Why You Need This Dorsiflexion Assist AFO for Foot Drop
Whether you had a stroke, have diabetic nerve damage, live with multiple sclerosis, or are experiencing another neurological disorder, suffering from foot drop can be quite a struggle.
Foot drop, or dropped foot, is a symptom of some underlying condition caused by weakness in your ankle or disruption in the nerve pathway between your legs and brain. This makes it difficult to lift the front of your foot to the correct angle while walking, jogging, and running. As a result, your foot hangs down and may catch or drag along the ground, often causing trips and falls.
There are a number of reasons why you might have trouble maintaining proper dorsiflexion, such as:
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Cerebral palsy
- Peroneal nerve injuries
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (CMT)
- Muscular dystrophy or myositis
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (AKA Lou Gehrig??s disease or ALS)
- Some forms of spinal muscular atrophy
Not sure if you have foot drop? No problem! Take the Foot Drop Test and talk with your doctor. Visit our resource library to learn about other common foot injuries and conditions.
Luckily, modern medicine is very progressive and wearing an AFO (ankle-foot orthosis) is one of the simplest ways to handle the unpleasant signs of drop foot, including:
- Dragging your toes and foot across the ground as you walk (toe walking)
- A high steppage gait, or raising your thigh as you walk, to prevent your toes from catching the ground
- An inability to raise your foot at the ankle
- Numbness along the top of your foot or toes
Nevertheless, finding the right support to maintain foot clearance when walking can be challenging. This soft AFO brace helps address those cumbersome signs by comfortably supporting the upper portion of your foot, allowing you to move about and walk more naturally.
Talk to your doctor and read about this brace’s features below to determine if this is the right product for you.
The Best AFO for Foot Drop: 6 Reasons Why People Love This Foot Up Brace
Drop foot affects countless people across the world, causing diminished mobility, lower overall quality of life, falls, and injuries. Anyone wrestling with foot drop can benefit from a well-engineered, lightweight AFO. Below, you’ll find the top six highest-rated features, which make this soft brace an irreplaceable assistant in fighting drop foot effectively:
Wear Barefoot or With Shoes
Two, interchangeable options give you the ability to wear this drop foot brace with laced shoes throughout the day or barefoot at home. It can be worn on your right or left foot, with or without a sock. This flexibility helps it to stand out from other braces for drop foot.
Our dorsi strap is comfortable and barely noticeable while in use. It promotes muscle development and helps improve balance. Wear with your regular shoes. No special shoes required. Unlike the Leaf Spring AFO, SaeboStep, Richie Brace, orthotic inserts, or other solid AFO braces, nothing is placed in your shoe or under your foot.
Made of Breathable, Medical-Grade Materials
Unlike many other AFO braces for toe walking, this product is made of a soft and thin, flexible material that is breathable and works easily with shoes. The lack of a heel section makes this brace more comfortable to wear for all-day support.
Convenient, Wrap-Around Style for Quick and Easy Adjustment
Easily apply or remove this brace, thanks to its convenient wrap-around design. Each fastener is medical-grade, making it ten times stronger than standard, retail-grade fastener for a secure fit throughout the day.
Also Helps with Plantar Fasciitis and Achilles Tendonitis
This soft AFO for foot drop also is helpful for plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis, holding your foot close to a 90-degree angle. It provides a consistent stretch to your plantar fascia, Achilles tendon, and calf muscle, while also promoting a more natural gait. Many braces for plantar fasciitis only provide nighttime support, but this dorsiflexion assist was specifically designed for daytime or nighttime use. Only looking for nighttime support. Check out our soft dorsal night splint or sleeping stretch boot!
Adjustable Buckle Strap for Custom Dorsiflexion Control
Easily adjust the tension by simply pulling the buckle strap or bungee cord tighter for increased dorsiflexion or loosen for less support throughout the day.
New and Improved Design
After months of research, development, and testing, we are thrilled to introduce this limited quantity of our new and improved, soft AFO for Foot Drop. Based on customer feedback, we redesigned our old AFO, allowing users to wear it barefoot or with laced shoes and easily switch from shoe to shoe. The soft design helps eliminate common issues associated with rigid AFOs such as, wounds on the sides of your ankle or resizing due to changes in your muscular build over time. Act fast! There are limited units available.
Other Forms of Charcot Foot and Foot Drop Treatment
Along with braces or ankle-foot orthosis (AFO), exercise therapy to strengthen your foot, ankle, and lower leg muscles is one of the primary treatments for dropped foot. Stretching and range of motion exercises will help you maintain joint mobility to prevent stiffness from developing in your heel.
If peroneal nerve damage is the cause of your foot drop, functional electrical stimulation may be a good alternative to complex surgery. A small device that electrically stimulates normal function of the peroneal nerve can be worn or surgically implanted just below your knee, causing the muscle to contract and your foot to lift while walking.
Foot Drop Surgery
In severe cases with permanent loss of movement, you may need surgery that fuses your foot and ankle joints. Surgery may also be required to transfer tendons, if they were damaged and causing foot drop, from stronger muscles to help improve gait and stability.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Soft Ankle-Foot Orthosis (AFO)
- What conditions/injuries does this foot and ankle stabilizer treat? This dorsiflexion assist orthosis helps manage discomfort due to foot drop, post CVA (stroke), Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, diabetic nerve damage, mild muscular dystrophy, and post-spinal cord surgery.
- How does it work? Offers convenience and comfort, holding your foot near a 90-degree angle for optimum foot clearance support while walking.
- When should I wear it? Wear throughout the day or night, with or without shoes.
- What is it made of? Nylon and spandex-blended AirFlex neoprene alternative with medical-grade, hook and loop fastener. All components are latex free.
- Who can wear this brace? Great for any adult men or women, as well as some kids, who need dorsiflexion assistance. Can greatly improve your quality of life, allowing you to move with ease.
- What size should I buy?Using a soft/flexible tape measure, measure the circumference around your ankle, two inches above the ankle bone.Size S/M fits ankle circumferences ranging from 7 1/2 – 9 1/2 inches and L/XL fits 9 1/2 – 12 inches.
- How do I put it on?
- Footwear Application: Undo fasteners on brace. With metal-O-rings on top, position brace above ankle. Wrap brace around ankle and attach. Wrap ankle strap around leg, through D-ring buckle, and reattach onto itself. Apply laced shoe. Pull each side of bungee cord toward shoe and attach to laces at desired tension level.
- Barefoot Application: With fasteners undone, grasp foot sleeve and slide over toes. Center heel in cutout. Wrap around forefoot strap and secure. Wrap ankle portion of brace just above ankle bone, attaching with fastener. Wrap around ankle strap, feeding through D-ring buckle. Pull back onto itself to attach. Feed dorsiflexion strap through D-ring buckle and pull upward. Reattach dorsiflexion strap onto itself to secure.
- How tall is this brace About nine inches tall
- Washing Instructions: Close all fasteners and hand wash in warm water with mild detergent. Allow brace to air dry completely before reapplying. Do not use high temperatures to wash or dry.
- Other features:
- Natural foot drop treatment
- Made in the USA
- Can be worn with or without socks
- Highly adjustable strapping system for optimal support
- Color: Black